I have been meeting with new teachers since school started to get to know them and offer my support. I have been overwhelmingly impressed by the quality people we have hired for this year (eighteen new teachers to be exact!). Last week I began making my rounds touching base with our second-year teachers (also very impressive). One is a sixth-grade math teacher. He asked me to look for an app or website that would give the students extra practice on their math facts. I often download apps that people recommend with intentions of trying them out, only to have them sit, unused, on my iPad. Well, this request gave me an excuse – and motivation – to play. I soon deleted several, but in the process found a few that I really enjoyed.
- All operations, or a mix of the four
- Four different levels
- Easy to use
- Race against yourself
- Grades 3-5
- Dinosaur Memory Game
- Fun, easy to use, platform is a bit elementary in nature
- Grades 1-4
- Two levels (starter/advanced)
- Practice all four operations
- Easy to use
- A little boring (but good for those with attention issues)
- Great for letter and number identification
- Free version only offers subtraction practice
- Fun, easy to use
Pearl Diver HD or Lobster Diver:
- Grades 3-8
- Practices math facts, fractions, and decimals
- Perfect for individual or group practice (up to four kids can “play” on the same iPad
- Works on counting and basic addition facts
Please comment if you have other favorite math apps.
*Not all of these apps are free.